cat. converters job

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Sun Sep 13 1998 - 11:29:40 EDT

"The cat functions to
> >REMOVE oxygen from the exhaust, which is what the sensor is looking for. The
> >downstream sensor therefore expects to see LESS oxygen."

I may be wrong, so I am open for correction. I thought the converter's
purpose was to reduce harmful emissions, Hydrocarbons and Carbon
Monoxide, known as HC and CO, not remove oxygen, which is not a
pollutant. It reduces these emission by converting these emissions into
carbon dioxide, and the oxygen is reduced as it is converted to become
part of the dioxide molecule, also water is another result-H2O. Same
net result that the computer is looking for, but a different reason and
method for achieving it.
  Not nitpicking, just trying to explain it a little more for those who
may be interested.

Patrick