Re: Supercharger on a RT? Any pics out there?

From: Daniel Colucci (djcolucci@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Sep 14 1998 - 17:59:13 EDT

Shaun,

The reason I went with the Vortech first is that I removed it from my 94.
I will be doing the exhaust system next when I get the cash. I will be
going to true duals with possibly cats only if I can figure out the O2
situation that would arise with going to duals. I also may wait for the
Mopar headers. It may be possible for me to go with the Mopar headers and
custom dual set up without the "Y" configuration.

I really do feel that this truck has a lot more left in it. I am going to
run it again in a few weeks when the weather cools down. I didn't mess
with the tire pressure or wasn't able to perfect a launch technique yet.

Dan

----------
> From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: Re: DML: Supercharger on a RT? Any pics out there?
> Date: Monday, September 14, 1998 12:03 PM
>
> I may have missed it, but I didn't see any exhaust mods on that R/T.
If
> the Y-pipe is as restrictive on the R/T as it is on the standard Magnum
V-8
> like mine, I can see why the supercharger didn't help his times much.
I've
> noticed on my V-8 (only a wimpy 5.2L ^_^ ) the exhaust necks down to and
inch
> and a half at the y-pipe turn point. This is a ton of back-pressure,
IMO. A
> 3" pipe into the engine and an 1 1/2" out? (who am I to second guess
Chrysler
> Engineers) Add a supercharger to that and you're still stuffing air into
> slow drain. I'd think that R/T would do much better with an exhaust
overhaul.
> A clear breathing exhaust will be the first *REAL* preformance mod my
Dak
> gets. I've decided to go with the Mopar Headers & bolt-up Y-Pipe, the
factory
> Cat, a "Straight Through" muffer (maybe a Thrush Glass-pack), and just
enough
> pipe to dump the exhaust down and away from the truck at the rear tire.
That