Re: RE: Sport to MAGNUM R/T conversion

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 16:34:52 EDT

<<Mild cam? (Patrick has one on an earlier Ram, anybody with a cam in their

97-99??)

etc. etc.

Lots of great stuff in the archives.

Bruce K Bridges>>

My truck is a '97. It is OBD-II controlled. I believe cam's on the ragged edge
of getting along with the computer. It has .512" of lift, 210 deg dur on the
intake, and 220 deg dur on the exhaust. All this one 112 degree lobe sep, it
lopes fairly hard. Jules @ MPI has told me he uses a cam just slightly larger
than mine, but not by much.

I have no drivability problems, but sometimes the SES light will be triggered
by the misfires at idle. Low end torque definatly suffered, but the midrange
and top end is absolutely explosive... and this is with my rev limiter set at
5000rpm. I beleive theres a few more Rs to be spun out of this engine, but I
can't spin her any higher b/c of the stock ECM.

I've witnessed a '97 Ram 4x4 with a mild blower cam, w/ no problems.

On my friend's 98 Dak we used a grind very similar (identical) to the MP grind
w/1.7 rockers, and he didn't run into any problems.

While the R/T package may produce great results, I feel that the cam is too
mild for most, and all the components are overpriced. IMO, one could do much
better (economically, and performance wise) in the aftermarket for sure.

ttyl
Patrick