Re: M1 Manifold

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 01:09:27 EDT

At 11:13 AM 9/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks much. My next question is how exactly is the Magnun MPI better than the
>stock ones for performance. Does it just flow more air?
>Thanks again,
>Robert

 Yep, I believe its just less restrictive, and has better flow characteristics,
same reasoning as upgrading the exhaust, Y pipe, headers, throttle body, etc.
A dual plane divides the incoming air into two seperate "chambers", whereas
a single plane has only one chamber, I think. The general consensus is that
a single plane is good for high rpm power, and a dual plane is better for low
rpm torque. That isn't always the case though, and can even be the opposite,
depending on the engine and the manifold in question. (Manifolds are another
one of those automotive "black arts" where you're never really sure what's
going to happen without actually bolting the stupid thing on and seeing
what happens. I hear it can get pretty involved. :-)

  The stock manifold is a dual plane, the MPI Magnum manifold is a single
plane.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.80@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |