Re: More Dakota trivia

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 23:20:09 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Boog318@aol.com <Boog318@aol.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Friday, September 18, 1998 8:11 PM
Subject: DML: More Dakota trivia

>As we all know, the Dakota engines went magnum in 1992. This consisted of
>better heads, ignition system, MPI, etc.
>A leading aftermarket parts company, Allied Signal, goofed on a certain
aspect
>concerning the ignition system.
>What was this problem (specifically) and why did it happen?
>Ok, I'll give you guys a hint, it only happened in 92 and they never
corrected
>it.
>Boog :0).

    The COIL wire was too short. Seems the premagnum era Dakotas with the
V8 had the coil located on the firewall behind the aircleaner... A mere 8"
from
the distributor. For the '92 and newer Magnum engines, the coil is located
on
the front passenger side of the engine... about 6" longer than the longest
spark
plug wire (and DON'T ask me to tell you the plug # because I don't
remember...
and don't feel like lifting my mercury filled hood to check the plug #!!
LOL )

Sam '95 SLT