jba/pipes/lo-buck tranney mods/burning smell

From: the bobster (charger69rt@inficad.com)
Date: Sun Sep 20 1998 - 19:51:01 EDT

hi list

JBA's: I was one of the first to get and install the JBA headers.

We had trouble with the flange to y-pipe seals...that was cured
with the sealing domes.

The truck still has the stock '92 Y-pipe but we added a dynomax
cat-back from Summit that cost us $89.00.

After the different threads on the list, about loss of low-end torque;
we went with a single pipe 2 3/4" system with a two chamber muffler.

Very pleasing exhaust note....my son says its "ok"...meaning he was
hoping it would have been louder.

Recently the truck suffered a auto transmission failure and it was
replaced with a 1995 tranney from a van.The transmission did not
seem to shift as hard as the old one.

 We decided to try a "low-buck" tranney fix that consisted of upping
 the line pressure and taking out the accumulator springs.

Our '69 charger69rt has run for 10 years with this quick fix while
it's original engine and tranney are being gone through.(talk about
long-term projects).

A trip to the strip Friday night showed this may not have been a
good idea.

Under wide open throttle the Dak would not shift into third.It acted
like it would down shift back to second and then shift up again followed
by another immediate downshift.....not pleasent.

We never got a full run because of this, but the 60' times were equal to
the best we had before the headers, and the 660 foot ets and mph's
were the best we have ever ran.

A 300 mile trip this weekend backed up the 2-3mpg increase we first
reported.Low and mid range power are improved.The trannsmission worked
flawlessly.....the malfunction only seems to show up in WOT runs on the
2-3 shift.

Next step is a shift kit and re-install the accumulator springs.

Burning rubber smell: Every vehicle I have ever installed headers
onto....has smelled of burning rubber for the fist several days.

I don't know if it is caused by elevated underhood temps, but I suspect
that is the reason.

The bottom line is that our 1992 318/auto CC 3.55 leer shell, has
still not broken into the 15's. The Phoenix strip (Speedworld Motor-
plex) is at least 1450' elevation and our temps are usually a little
on the warm side, but the good weather is coming.

I seem to remember that my 16 sec quarter mile times delighted
Tony/Amanda eariler this summer.

There were a couple other Daks at the strip. We ran ours twice but
left because of the shifting problem.

We did not see any honda NSX's so we could not be correctly impressed.

In fact , we have never seen a NSX at the strip...perhaps the
Tony/Amanda spies can relay this to them.We have had Vipers show up once
or twice, so maybe that keeps them NSX guys away.

all for now

rob