RE:Re: Paint Peeling

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 13:36:40 EDT

Rob:

   While I can understand your desire to have CC pick up the full costs, I
would tend to agree with CC on this. I don't think they are looking at the
miles but at the age of the truck. If your's is an '89, it's hit it's 10 year
birthday (Happy 10th to your truck, BTW). Any combination of Silver or
Metallic Flake paints are notorious for fading, cracking, chipping, etc. 10
years is a good life-span for paint on a well used truck (200K miles tells me
it's well used). You would really have to baby it (constantly waxed,
detailed, always garaged, etc) to expect more out of the paint. I'm not
certain of how you keep the vehicle overnight, or how often it faces harsh
conditions, but I personally would be happy with a 10 year paint job. My '90
Shadow lasted me 7 years and I was saving up to get it repainted in year 8.
Normal wear and tear would dictate this, and I kept it waxed and detailed. I
think CC is giving you a good deal as well. I wish I was going to be able to
get away with $200 for a repaint job. I was staring $1,200 in the face to
redo the Shadow and that was a deal (but then again I was going to have it
repainted by a Jaguar shop in that gorgeous laquer stuff).
   I don't really think it's all too fair to bag on CC in that way. They
could've told you just to get lost since it's way out of it's paint warranty
period.

Shaun H.