Re: ET's - Why am I going slower?????

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Sat Sep 19 1998 - 23:47:14 EDT

>Brian your 60' times are suffering for sure I have a 93 CC V8 with 3.91
and SG
>on street tires I've been running 2.2 60' times and they're not super at all.
>Open dif doesn't help either. I have MP computer, JBA's (which didn't seem to
>do much but helped a little), Cat back Duals with 3" Race Magnum muffler but
>before any of this I was running 15.6 and 15.7's. I have stock Champion plugs
>gapped at .040. I do now have a MSD Blaster 3 coil, MSD 8.5 wires, Steel
>pulleys and ram air funtional hood. Last wed night I ran a bunch of 14.5's
>best 14.503@ best of 95.88. What are you running for gas and oil and what
size
>rear tires? Is this a 2wd ? How about Altitude ? Something sure seems to be
>off a little.
>
>Help ya if I can
>Bill

I run 93 Chevron gas. 10w-30 Pennzoil - that's soon to change to a
synthetic of some kind. Yeah, it's 2wd. Altitude is 1820 ft or so, so it
shouldn't affect it that much. The tires are some REALLY OLD Goodyears -
225/75 Vectors. Had them laying around in the garage and put them on after
the 30 x 9.5's that I bought the truck with wore out. My plugs are gapped
at .36.

The wierd thing is that it really feels as though it has dropped a cylinder
or something. It hasn't, but feels like it. The aformetioned CJ7 kicked
my ass up to 45 mph today on the street!! I have accidently run without a
plug wire attached before. It felt about like that, only mine were all
attached last night. The weird part is the low end torque thing. I drove
it a bunch today, and it barely squeals the tires from a dead stop. If you
make it downshift to first(25 - 35 or so), though, it will spin them until
it shifts. It spins them during the 1st to 2nd gear shift, too.

I looked at my friends (CJ7) timeslip - he even had a 2.4 60' time.
Something has got to be wrong with mine.... I would really like to figure
this out as Omni GLHS's, Duster 340's, and early 80's Rams with a big block
conversion were the conversation I've been having on what I might trade
for.... I love my truck, but like going fast, too. I would really like to
get in the 14's naturally aspirated - like you.

Brian "V7 or so Dakota" Lee