Power up a 3.9 or put in a 5.2 in an '89?

From: Corey A Meyer (cameyer@bw.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 18:43:45 EDT

condition and only has about 70,000 miles. I've done quite a lot of work
on it including repainting because the grey paint peeled so I repainted it
with Chrysler BLack lacquer paint and clear coat. I have put a lot of
work into raising it including a body lift, better coil springs, all new
shocks including air shocks on the back, and thats about it. I did this
to fit some new chrome 16 in. wheels which I had to buy an adapter to get
to fit. On these spectacular rims I have some 275-75 Dunlop rovers on the
back and 245-75 Goodyear Wranglers on the front. Due to the adapters and
size of the tires, they stick out some from the body which I feel looks
good. Now, I am very interested in upping my power as much as possible.
I've got in some split-fire spark plugs, Belden spark plug wires, had an
accel super coil-which went bad so I got one like stock, and not muck else
for power. I know 318s are relatively cheap and easy to get. So, here is
my question, should I try to put a 318 into my beautiful truck or just try
to pump up my v6. Now, some of you are saying a 318 can't go into an '89,
and you may be right-but in 1989, along with a convertible dakota there
was a shelby with a 318 and the fan was positioned closer for it to fit in
there I believe. So, should I go for the 318 or power up my 3.9L? AND,
if I go for the 318 what do I need to change and do? OR, what can I do to
power up the 3.9? (I was thinking headers, cat-back exhaust, MSD
ignition...what else?)