Re: ET's - Why am I going slower?????

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 01:22:37 EDT

>Sur you didn't burn a wire on the headers ?
>
><<The weird part is the low end torque thing. I drove
>it a bunch today, and it barely squeals the tires from a dead stop. >>
>
>Definitely strange. One thing to check or have checked is the base timing (or
>injector timing) which is controlled by turning the distributor. Pretty
tricky
>process but needs to be right on. It can't be done with a timing light but
>there is a procedure which I think has been upgraded from the FSM by way of a
>TSB. Not sure but the mech at my dealer checked and set it on mine. Don't
know
>that it was off but now I know it's on and this off could be a problem. The
>ignition timing is controlled by the computer and is not adjustable. I may be
>worth checking because something is definitely not up to par or though it
>appears. The headers didn't seem to hurt anything on mine and I have fairly
>open exhausts where it would seem would have bothered if it was going to. Can
>you feel this thing shift into second when taking off normally in drive ? I
>had seen a problem where the cable from the TB to the Tranny was off and it
>would shift to second so fast that it was like taking off in second. Take off
>in drive easy and when you feel it shift the first time hold the throttle and
>then shift manually down to second and then first to see which gear it was
in.
>Once the cable was adjusted right it was like a different vehicle.
>
>Just thoughts but one of em may be the problem. Give me some more info and
>I'll keep peckin away at it.
>
>Bill

I need to check my wires. Haven't got around to it, I've been to busy
doing stuff and I don't wnat to work on the truck w/the headers still hot.
The dealer will never see my Dakota, not to trusting of them. I've heard
too many bad stories. They have every Mopar owner in town by the balls
though, cause the nearest one is 90 miles from here. I have the cable
thing set up to give the firmest shifts possible. Hmmmm....haven't tried
the transmission thing yet. Funny you brought that up. I seem to remember
running my fastest time in Drive. I don't think I said that earlier.

As far as power goes, as my friend eloquently put it, "Feels like a damn
riceburner" after he drove it. This is referring to the fact I have no
low end power. Which is kinda true, it lugs (feels like I'm pulling a
load) under 3 grand, and then you better hold on, cause it takes off after
that. If I had 4 wheel drive I would have to say that it feels like it's
in 4-high until 3000 rpm, another example would be that it feels like turbo
lag. A different friend said maybe my torque convertor is dying. Sounds
like it could be the injector timing or the timing in general, like you
said. It's still not as fast as it was at 3000 before, either. The power
is not as down as much at 3 grand as it is down low, though.

It's really noticeable at higher speeds it'll downshift into 2nd or 3rd,
but doesn't accelerate like before. I used to be able to go from 65ish to
85-90 while passing a semi. Now I'm lucky to hit 80. It feels like the
motor is really straining. Another thing is that the valve noises have
seemed to get a little louder lately. I have always had some valve/rocker
ticking, but the volume has increased, especially with the hood up. Before
I even put the headers on, it used to spit smoke(black) when it downshifted
at higher speeds. I think it was black. It was only noticeable at night.
I could see it in the cars headlights when I passed them. My tailpipe is
covered in black stuff (carbon buildup??), too. None on the body, though.
I would hate to hear that you think my motor is dying. Not too suprised if
it was, though. I have 86,000 miles on it. the first 77,000 miles put on
it by the 1st owner were harsh from what I understand. Lots of highway
miles and on the ranch miles pulling 22 ft and 32 ft trailers.

Would really hate to take it to the dealer, though. Not too long ago
someone who worked there got thrown in jail because he lied about parts
purchases and skimmed off the top(something like that) to the tune of
$180,000.

Know anybody that wants that Duster I metioned before? I hate to see it
just sit there. I don't know if the owner would part with it, but it's
worth a try.

Any of that help? Or did I just confuse you?

Brian