Re: Demons that lurk in the Dark

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 19:22:13 EDT

   Actually Eric, that's a misconception. All the profits stay in the United
States by nature of money exchange. The only place on the whole planet to
spend US Dollars is in the US. So if Daimler Chrysler starts making tons of
profit, the only place they can use that profit is in the United States. Sure
they can exchange it for Dutesch Marks or land or whatever, but in the end,
that Dollar ends back here in America. The country of origin of the currency
type always benefits more from it's currency being used by foreign countries.
This is a basic economic principle that frequently gets ignored in the "Oh my
God! The foreigners are buying up the Country!" upheaval. Dollars never
leave the country for long.
   The reality of this situation is that profits gained from the US will be
used to offset costs that Daimler incurs in improving its US operations OR
that it incurs in buying stuff made here in the US. So long as the GNP and
other growth measurements remain on an uphill climb, foreign investment gets
heavilly incouraged because the foreign investor is taking all the risks and
only getting back a small percentage of the profits. Foreign companies
usually invest in strong countries companies to hedge against local economic
problems. If the bottom falls out of the German Economy, Daimler Chrysler
will still be a solid investment due to it's heavy US ties. If the US economy
goes wobbly for awhile, it may not really affect Germany all that much and so
the company still stays bouyant.
   The sad truth is that no matter how much of the US is foreign owned, so
long as we have the largest and most powerful military on the planet, we can
always take it back if necessary and there's ziltch anyone can do about it.
This is a known economic fact and was personally experienced by Mr. Saddam
Husein. He tried to get out of paying his forein debt by taking over the
country he owed. He gambled that his army was big enough to hold the
territory. He lost. That little country had big US investments and friends
in high places. It's good to be well invested in the US. It's what's
currently floating many Japanese companies that invested here years ago, and
now they are still making money here or are able to sell their investments to
stay afloat there.
   Oh, and WWII was many, many years ago. I think it's time we got over it or
there will be a WWIII someday. The German's are good, hard working people.
They did not ask for the Soviet Union to control them. East Germany was dying
under the USSR. Now the unified Germany is coming back. It's good to see
that a German company can embark on such a large purchase. I think in the
end, everyone will win on this one.

Shaun H.