Re: I need to find the perfect oil filter.

From: Elmer Hanhart (hanharte@SWBell.net)
Date: Fri Sep 25 1998 - 00:31:35 EDT

Pedro J. Diaz, M.D. wrote:

> I am doing my research before I purchase my '99 Dakota.
>
> Months ago I read somewhere, I can't remember where, about an oil
> filtration SYSTEM.
> They claimed that this contraption would clean the oil of even the
> smallest particles, for instance, those smaller than the limit of
> conventional filters. If you ran synthetic oil, you could technically
> keep the same oil for years. The filter would last 25,000 miles or so,
> additives are required once in a while too. etc...
>
> The idea is sound. Considering that ALL the damage of an engine is from
> friction, and conventional oil filters cannot get anything smaller than
> 40 microns. I mean, If I am going to get a state of the art 5.2 L
> engine, how can I rely on decades old technology for protecting it? If
> this system is for real, my engine will stay like new.
>
> Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> Pedro Diaz, a DML virgin. ( go easy on me, it's my first time)

I believe Amsoil has a product that filters a portion of the oil in a
very tightly woven material and it looks like it could work. It only
filters part of it at a time because it creates a small drop in
pressure. I run Amsoil but I dont let it go as long as they say you can.
I've considered the setup(it is kinda like a remote filter setup) but
haven't yet because of space problems in the engine bay, and I'm also
waiting for some proof it works. Remember starting an engine is the
worst thing you can do, since there is no oil in the top end, Amsoil
seemed to decrease starting time for me.

Erich 98 ext. cab v8 5spd.