RE: best oil filter

From: Tim Marks (tmarks@silverlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 14:35:18 EDT

Actually, the anti-drain valve in the filter will keep the column of oil above the filter
in place. It is not there just to keep the filter full of oil (which would happen anyhow
because the filter is upside down). The unfortionate side benefit of this is that when
you take the filter off, about 1/4 quart of oil drains out of the engine that was being held
in place by the anti-drain valve.

So the antidrain valve does keep a good amount of oil closer to your engine to minimize
wear on startup. This seems true based upon the amount of oil trapped above the filter
when I removed it. Way more than I have ever seen on any of the other cars I owned.
Unfortionately, my oil pan was in the wrong postion to collect it (which is why I have
cardboard on my garage floor when I change the oil).