Re: Re: Olden Days and 4wd - changing of V8 guard

From: Merullo (Merullo@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 13:51:31 EDT

>No, you do not have to backup to disengage the 4WD. Here is some history
on
>Dak 4WDs:

Really? Come 4-wheeling with me sometime and I'll demonstrate the irregular
disengagement.

>The original Daks like my '89 had an "auto locking" feature. When you

>Somewhere around '92 (I think, don't quote me on this),

Never commit anything to paper (or e-mail) if you dont want to be quoted. A
vacuum sleeve setup like you're describing was still in place in the 1993
models, and, yes, the darned thing wont always disengage until you stop and
back up. The redesign must have taken place for the 1994 model year, or
later.

CC changed the
>design. They made it a lot simpler. They removed the vacuum module and
>just left the transfer case to engage the front driveshaft. This means
that

Thank you. You just gave me yet another reason for a new truck, probably a
4x4 club cab Dakota with the small V8. I say "small V8", because by the
time I hit the market, if the rumors are true, there wont be anymore 5.2l.

So when is this new, aluminum, OHC truck V8 going to hit the streets?
Anyone? Bueller?