Re: RE: Part Time 4wd

From: Walter_Felix (Walter_Felix@email.msn.com)
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 21:07:50 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian <leefam@wcc.net>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Wednesday, September 23, 1998 12:51 AM
Subject: Re: DML: RE: Part Time 4wd

>Durango Transfer Case:
>
>2H - normal driving
>
>4 PT - it is PART-TIME!!!!! only engages when there is slippage at rear,
>turns off when turning a corner, too
>
>4 FT - same as 4 high in anything else - it's in 4 wheel drive all the time
>
>N - makes everything shift into neutral

Almost, "N" only disengauges the transfer case from the tranny. The front
and rear axles are still geared to each other. That's because "N" is
inbetween "4H" and "4L". When I used to drive a wrecker full time, I didn't
like leaving my truck at the shop over night when I was on call. I would
wheel lift my truck from the rear with the transfer case in "2H". If it was
in "N", it would not roll freely.

>4L - low range gearing
>
>Leaving it in 4FT is only for dirt roads, heavy snow....4 PT is for rain,
>light snow.....Having full-time 4 wheel drive or just 4 wheel
>drive(Selec-Trac in a Jeep) wears out stuff(u-joints, driveline, etc.) a
>lot faster. Wastes gas, and os overall less efficient, especially if it is
>only needed once in a while.
>
>If you use 4FT on the street, it will wear out everything faster. It's bad
>for it, too. That's why 4 PT was invented. You can drive at higher speeds
>without damaging stuff, too.
>
>Brian

Walter_Felix@MSN.COM
88' Dakota Sport 4x4