Re: I need to find the perfect oil filter.

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 19:50:13 EDT

   Well, we did an experiment to find out if Slick 50 did what it claimed
(after all: back then it was $30 a bottle!). We put it in our Dodge
Customized Van (with the 318) and didn't in our Cordoba (boy does that bring
back memories)(also a 318). We immediately saw a jump of 2 mpg in our Van's
gas mileage (on top of a noticeable engine power increase). The Cordoba just
got a new oil change to compare it with (same oil brand). The Cordoba didn't
change mpg at all. We then put some slick 50 into the Cordoba and saw a jump
of 1.5 mpg but no real noticeable power increase. We sold the Cordoba shortly
after that (late 80's, just after Slick 50 came out). The Van only had 38,000
miles on it but the Cordoba had 150,000 on it.
   When the Van hit 125,000 miles my Dad decided to have the heads milled. He
bought a sophisticated wear checker for the cylinder walls way back to refurb
the Cordoba's engine. When the Van blew a head gasket at 35,000 miles. For
giggles he checked the van's wear. It was "Normal" for 35,000. He checked it
again when he sent the heads out for milling and found the wear numbers to be
identical to when the Van had 38,000 miles on it. We were all floored. Ever
since then (and the oil incident) all our cars have had Slick 50 in them with
similar results. For $10 it's a great money saver in the long run. We have
never had a burned or stuck valve, burned bearing, cam or rod problems. We
had experienced these before. My Dad & Brother even has it in their Diesel's.
   I am waiting until the Dak hits 9K miles to put it in since if you do it
too soon, your engine will never break in. I'm hoping to see a jump in mpg
afterwards. Heaven's know I could use it. My only sore point on the V8...
drinks like a fish.

Shaun H.