Re: preserving hegemony

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 13:47:37 EDT

   I suppose this would be more of a factor if Chrysler represented a
significant portion of the GNP. Since it's just a drop in the bucket, it's no
big deal really. This "abstraction" point is very valid for smaller countries
selling out their only major industries to larger foreign nations. If Daimler
starts screwing up Chrysler, they will get some interesting mail from the
State Department, which will then go on to the German Government if we really
start to object. We are talking about the worlds largest economy and only
remaining Superpower. I seriously doubt Diamler will want to screw around
with that country's #3 manufacturer of one of it's largest and most
traditional industries. This nearly guarantees that Diamler has only the best
intentions with Chrysler. The US probably has Billions of dollars of orders
in German goods as leverage against such treatments.

Shaun H.

---orignial message---
This is a good point, and helps to shift the focus to more of a 'big
picture' view. Let us shift more: the dollar bill, like any currency, is
an abstraction. You cannot eat a dollar, wrap yourself in it for comfort,
or ride it for transportation. Do you really want the real assets located
'near' you (such as, let's say, in your own nation-state) to be bought up by
entities that are not 'near' you, and thus less likely, maybe, to give a
damn about you?