Re: I need to find the perfect oil filter.

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 12:18:57 EDT

> > Months ago I read somewhere, I can't remember where, about an oil
> > filtration SYSTEM.

> > If you ran synthetic oil, you could technically
> > keep the same oil for years.

  Some synth-droids like to yammer and blab about extended drain
intervals that would boggle the mind, but even they tell you that drain
intervals exceeding the manufacturer's recommendation require supplementary
oil analysis. And periodic additive package recharges.

  I suspect I've seen a demo of the system you're talking about, and it was
intended for fleet and industrial service engines where increasing drain
intervals was deemed cost effective. Involved an outboard system (connected
to the screw-on oil filter port) that included a super-fine particulate filter,
coupled with a heat-exchange unit that used exhaust manifold heat to remove the
most volatile impurities. It was a very slick, well-engineered unit, and had
the corresponding price tag. They recommended a high volume oil pump, which
tells me that their filter wasn't very efficient.

  As for my vehicles, I'll just stick to the manufacturer's recommended change
interval. Cheaper and easier.

> > Considering that ALL the damage of an engine is from
> > friction, and conventional oil filters cannot get anything smaller than
> > 40 microns.

  Friction is not the only reason engines suffer damage. Lubricants (yes,
including synthetics) suffer from chemical decomposition induced by
combustion by-products (ring blow-by), heat & volatility, shear stress, etc.
Caustic oil doesn't do engines any good.

> > I mean, If I am going to get a state of the art 5.2 L
> > engine, how can I rely on decades old technology for protecting it?

  I'm no mindless follower of technology, but the pushrod Magnums aren't
exactly state of the art. And these newfangled oil filtration systems are
based on technology and patents that are decades old in many cases.

> > If
> > this system is for real, my engine will stay like new.

  There is no free lunch. The most cost-effective way for the average driver
to increase engine life is still regular preventive maintenance. Even so,
vehicles will wear out over time.

> My advise to you is to use only Mopar filters on your Dak. Chrysler came
> out about 7 years ago a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that said that
> Chrysler did not recommend the use of any filter other than Mopar filters.

  Mopar has no monopoly on quality filters. WIX and Gard are also excellent
filters, and not prohibitively expensive. And you can get them at your local
NAPA or CarQuest parts house.

> Chrysler has given the repair shops the option to
> refuse warranty work because of the use of non-Mopar filters.

  That is illegal in the United States under Federal law, specifically the
Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. The only way Chrysler could legally refuse
warranty service due to use of non-Mopar maintenance items (e.g. filters)
is if they give the filters to consumers for free.

> My dad has
> worked for Chrysler for 28 years and has always uses Mopar filters on all of
> his cars and has had very little mechanical problems.

  I'm sure he would have gotten the same excellent vehicle service, had he
performed the same regular maintenance with quality non-Mopar filters as well.

> I may only be 18 but I know my fair share of how to fix
> things on a car. So i would go with the Mopar filter it may cost a little
> more but its worth the protection of the warranty.

  I don't mean to be harsh, but these warranty-revocation claims are false.
Please don't spread around urban legend or false rumor. But continue to
take good care of your vehicles.

  Ron