RE: Slick 50

From: Bradley, Seth J (seth.j.bradley@intel.com)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 16:14:37 EDT

> Date: 24 Sep 1998 11:21:40 -0700
> From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
> Subject: RE: DML: Slick 50
>
> Is hard data gathered over many years just as worthless?
Obviously this
> "Placebo Effect" is so strong that it can overcome engine wear,
loss of oil,
> and measured increases in mpg ratings. Sure, the feel of
increased power
> could be "Placeboesque" but why on one vehicle and not another?
Whenever you
> see "Lab Tests" and such claim, read who "paid" for the lab test
to be run.

        I personally only trust independent agencies: Universities,
government
        agencies, etc. I'd never trust ANY private testing agency (unless
they're non-profit
        like CR, and they've pulled some mistakes). Any test should be
readily accessible.
        Some of the additive makers have made up fictitious agencies.

> You will find that frequently such "Tests" verify exactly what the
payer
> wanted them to. I don't work for Slick 50, I don't own any of
their stock.
> I'm an independent consumer who is very happy to bitch out any
product that
> fails to make muster for me. I am pleased with the Slick 50
results.

        If the product does what you want it to do, then its fine.

> You will also find that corporations such as Dupont are only
interested in
> one thing: money. The makers of this "Tuffoil" (never heard of
the stuff)

        Its always been obscure, but its still around:
http://www.tufoil.com/index.htm.

> paid to use Dupont's logos and marks. I'm willing to be nobody
else would.
> As for quality of product, never use and endorsed logo as a gauge.

        Sorry, but this is incorrect. DuPont publicly announced that they
        were forbidding any additive company to use DuPont trademarks
        (Teflon, Fluon) on their additives, due to ineffectiveness (and some
of the really
        bad stuff was causing damage). If you were looking at the market in
the
        eighties when this happened, like I was, you noticed all the
additives stopped
        using Teflon on the label and started using PTFE (the
non-trademarked name
        for the Teflon family). The makers of Tufoil challenged it by
demonstrating
        effectiveness and was allowed to retain the trademarks. After
looking up
        Tufoil's web page, I noticed that even they are now using PTFE, so
apparently
        DuPont won't let anyone use the trademarks any more.

        This battle will probably rage on the list for some time, and I'm
sorry I contributed
        to it. Some people are satisfied with anecdotal evidence, and if
they're happy
        with a product, that's great. Others want independent verification,
and that's
        fine too. Let's say we all live and let live? No one will convince
anyone else to
        change their minds.

        Seth