Re: RE: Part Time 4wd

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 16:26:37 EDT

> <<Momentum is the key here.>>
>
> Not necessarily... Unless you got ALOT of spare parts and perhaps a
> new body waiting at home you want to crawl through some areas I've
> been... Out west where these crazy dudes climb rocks and boulders
> with their rigs, I would think 1 MPH is too fast! In the mud or goo,
> yeah, keep it moving or you'll sink! -- Just make sure you checked
> for rocks and stumps first!! DOH!!!
>
> <<I don't like the independant rear suspension, either. It seems like
> they could have come up with a better idea...Such as the new Jeep
> Cherokee has - Quadra Track II.>>
>
> No doubt about it, Jeeps are great off-road vehicles but if the Quadra
> Track II uses open diffs your still back to square one.
>
> T.

I ment momentum through mud..... I know about going slow, I go 4wheeling a
bunch with my friends. We do the climbing stuff, not serious like Moab or
anything, but it does require lots of articulation.

Jeep Quadra Track II - There's something like a gerator inside the carrier
housing. It lets the tires slip a little, then sends the power to the
wheel WITH grip. I have the specs somewhere.

Car & Driver Oct 98 - pg 59

"The Grand Cherokee's new available Quadra Drive four-wheel-drive system
uses three gerator oil pumps (of similar design to a typical engine-oil
pump), one each in the transfer case and the front and rear axles.
Slippage between the output shafts of any one of the three differentials
causes the pump to turn and pressurize a clutch pack, which directs torque
to the driveshaft or wheel with the most traction."

I have a more detailed article somewhere....

Brian