Re: 5.2 sport vs R/T

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 19:45:32 EDT

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 Kabuki2@aol.com wrote:

> << Damn Straight. But... There is NO substitute for cubic inches. NO JET,
> NO
> air cleaner, NO catback, NO headers can prepare a truck for racin like a
> whole
> lotta cubes.THE ENGine >>
>
> Keep this in mind the next time you pull up to a Grand National with a measly
> 3.8L..
>
> I'm sure you'll change your tune rather quickly. :)

   Not really... You're comparing apples to oranges. Put a turbocharger
on the 5.2, and you're back to apples and apples. Don't get me wrong, a
smaller displacement engine can whoop on MUCH larger engines if you build
'em right. (Heck, there's a Mitsubishi Eclipse 4-banger that's runnin' 12.5
at the local track. Omni GLHS's will do 12's... I used to own a 3.0 liter
V6 that could stomp my Dak without even breaking a sweat!) But, add the
intercoolers, turbos at the same boost level, etc. to the larger engine and
it'll surpass the smaller one once again.

   Still, there are always tradeoffs. Obviously, you're limited as to
the size of engine you can use by your engine bay, the power your
frame can take, the weight of the engine, etc. Sometimes it makes more
sense to use a smaller engine in the real world. However, if you ignore
the cars and all that practical stuff, more displacement will make more
power every time.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |