Re:full time 4x4,rotate tires

From: bobster (charger69rt@inficad.com)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 17:27:41 EDT

Hi list

I think Audi with their "quadtro"(sp?) showed what full time
all-wheel drive is all about.

At some speed...let's say 60mph , it wastes more energy
pushing the front wheels
down the road than it takes to drive them.

I think a turbine car at Indy also showed how well this
could work.The nazis at Indy
fixed that by requiring the turbines to breathe thru a
smaller opening than the "correctly"
engined cars could use.

Also banned 4 wheel drive....don't want too much of that
technology to trickle down.

On kind of the same line, that is why I think the tires are
rotated corner to corner.The back wheels(on a 2wd) are
driven by the driveline while the fronts are driven by the
road.To keep them rotating in the same "direction" requires
the cross-over left to right when moving from front to
back.

Pure speculation going on here....but did you ever see one
of the 4wd audi's doing
100+ on a dirt trail thru the woods??????Impressed the heck
outta me.

rob