Re: Olden Days and 4wd - changing of V8 guard

From: Weingart, Robert F (rweingart@lucent.com)
Date: Fri Sep 25 1998 - 09:04:06 EDT

<<<
Never commit anything to paper (or e-mail) if you don't want to be quoted.
vacuum sleeve setup like you're describing was still in place in the 1993
models, and, yes, the darned thing wont always disengage until you stop and
back up. The redesign must have taken place for the 1994 model year, or
later

Merullo-

Ok, I'll never answer a question again that I don't absolutely know the
answer to without full documentation to back me up. I knew that '94s
definitely had the new setup and I thought that I saw a '92 with the same.
Anyway...

The light staying on is not necessarily telling you that you are in 4WD,
just that the front axle is still engaged. The shift lever is directly
linked to the transfer case, so if it is in 2WD, it is in 2WD. The front
axle may be engaged, but you are still in 2WD (powering only the rear
wheels). I had a situation when my light stayed on 4WD and I spun the rear
wheels at the same time. The difference is that all I had to do is flick
the lever back into 4WD and then 2WD, take my foot off the gas and the light
goes off. Without backing up.

But, if you insist on thinking that you have to backup to disengage 4WD
normally:
The owners manual (now that I have it to quote directly from) states that,
"In cold weather operation, below 30 degrees, it may be necessary to move
the vehicle slightly forward or backward to engage/disengage front axle."
So, you are correct for an isolated cold weather situation. If yours does
it all the time, maybe you have a problem?? Maybe the TSB I mentioned,
applies to your truck? My '89 has the same setup and I have never had to
backup hot or cold. Why don't you try fixing your truck before you are
quoted as saying that, "You have to backup to normally disengage 4WD with a
Dak."

BTW the sleeve I was referring to is actually called a shift collar (1989
RWD Truck Service Manual, page 2-25, in case you are quoting me again).

Rob Weingart