Re: Re: Olden Days and 4wd - misquoting

From: Merullo (Merullo@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Sep 25 1998 - 11:01:06 EDT

>Ok, I'll never answer a question again that I don't absolutely know the
>answer to without full documentation to back me up. I knew that '94s
>definitely had the new setup and I thought that I saw a '92 with the same.
>Anyway...

Well, I'll answer questions like that if I want to. But I'll probably write
things like "as far as I know", or "in my experience".

>The light staying on is not necessarily telling you that you are in 4WD,
>just that the front axle is still engaged. The shift lever is directly
>linked to the transfer case, so if it is in 2WD, it is in 2WD. The front
>axle may be engaged, but you are still in 2WD (powering only the rear
>wheels). I had a situation when my light stayed on 4WD and I spun the rear

I agree.

>wheels at the same time. The difference is that all I had to do is flick
>the lever back into 4WD and then 2WD, take my foot off the gas and the
light
>goes off. Without backing up.

I never tried this. Maybe I should.

>But, if you insist on thinking that you have to backup to disengage 4WD
>normally:

I'm not insisting on anything. Are you?

>backup hot or cold. Why don't you try fixing your truck before you are
>quoted as saying that, "You have to backup to normally disengage 4WD with a
>Dak."

I didnt write the words that you have put in quotes here. If I had, I would
not have split the infinitive.

There isnt anything wrong with my truck to fix, by the way.

>BTW the sleeve I was referring to is actually called a shift collar (1989
>RWD Truck Service Manual, page 2-25, in case you are quoting me again).

Ooouuch.

>Rob Weingart

Read my posts again. You're applying quotes to me that I didnt write.

What is your goal in doing that, anyway?