Towing

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri Sep 25 1998 - 12:15:11 EDT

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 20:08:04 -0700
From: Thom Greule <Thomwg@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: DML:equipment question

A question for the group.
>I happened to purchase my Dakota without a couple of options. Specifically
>the towing package. Now I need to set it up for towing about 3300 pounds and
>need some advice.

>First wiring; I need to wire up the standard stuff plus brakes and charge
>line. Is the factory harness just a plug and is it four wire or 6 wire.
>Second; Do I need a battery isolator for the auxiliary charge line or is
there a tap within the charge circuit.

>Thom.

Factory wiring does not include an isolator ... solution, unplug the
trailer when you park. The factory harness has the large round RV plug,
which has everything including backup lights. It would probably
be smart to install the factory harness, I believe the solution of the old
days (splicing into tailight wires) will cause trouble.

You will also need a Class 3 hitch (your bumper is only good for 2,000lb),
a transmission cooler and probably a larger radiator. I'm not sure if the
larger brakes were also included in the tow package ... check out the specs
on the bluebook site. I believe the HD electrical package was also required.

The cheapest route would have been to order the tow package when you bought
it.

3,300 lbs is getting up there in weight, you will also require trailer
brakes and a trailer brake controller.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.