My baby's breathin' again!!!

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Fri Sep 25 1998 - 21:07:41 EDT

> Well, it's kinda hard to say without installing them first ;-)
> BWAHAHAHAH!!!!! I just got them yesterday and they will be installed
> in the morning.... Oh yeah, I'm going to be doing before and after
> dyno runs so I'll let everyone know how the thorleys do.

Well, got them on. Did two runs this morning with the stock manifolds
and the stock Y-pipe. Ok first, last time I dynoed (last year) I had the
computer, the FIPK, and stock exhaust system. My best pull then was
211.3hp and 264ft/lbs. The dyno this morning would test the addition
of the flowmaster dual cat-back setup, 180 t-stat, and the taylor
wires. First two runs came out like this

pull 1:
max power 212.5 max torque 259.9
pull 2:
max power 208.7 max torque 266.7

Needless to say I was dissapointed by these numbers. That's no change
or a slight loss even. The flowmaster should have done something at
least. I think my engine might be showing signs of age or maybe needs
a tune up.

So by then I was all prepared to dyno again with the headers and see a
minimal increase. But that did not happen.

So how much power are the Thorley's good for?? How 'bout 15.25hp and
23.55ft/lbs.? (arrived at by averaging the two sets of runs, and
subtracting the results) Depending on where you read it the headers
are claimed to add anywhere from 15 - 23 hp.... So this seems to be a
true claim. Calculations would indicate about 18.3 more hp at the
crank (in my case). Average the claims 15 & 23 and you get 19hp so it
seems pretty close.

pull 3:
max power 227.4hp max torque 287.6
pull 4:
max power 224.3hp max torque 286.1

The guys in the shop said that was the best improvement with headers
alone they had ever seen. Even beat some guys cam swap they were
talking about. They were impressed to say the least.

I also brought along the video camera this time and shot video of all
4 pulls. I haven't checked yet, but I hope to have some killer sounds
from it. The sound of the dyno with the headers sounded sooo much
better than the other two runs with the stock manifolds. With the
manifolds there was a "raspyness" to the sound and got some pretty
loud poping on decel. With the headers the sound is much smoother,
lower in sound, and little to no poping on decel.

So for any sceptics out there, the Thorley's work!

The ceramic coating looks GREAT under the hood. Heat... well, it
still get's hot, but I can tell a definate improvement with the
coating. After the dyno pull I tried what I did to my buddies patrol
car. I put my hand right above one of the header tubes and could
hardly feel any heat... BUT I see now why it felt like that the first
time I did it, because they had that big-ass fan blowing on the
motor.... duh! The real test is sitting still idleing the motor, and
I can tell a definate reduction of radiated heat, not drastic but
worth the money IMHO.

Well I've got a crap load of stuff to do to my truck before the big
meet tommorow morning so I'll shut up now. I won't be on the DML again till Monday,
time to go play ;-)

PS: I got to talking Daks with the guys at the shop, and a while back
they did a '95, put in a cam, heads, computer, K&N, and a Vortech
supercharger. That beast dynoed with 368 rear wheel horsepower!!
I've started saving change from the couch already ;-)

---Mike, near Houston.---
 My sig file=====> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/signature.txt
 My Dakota page==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/dakota.html
 Dakota Webring==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/webring/ring.html