Re: ATR pipe

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 25 1998 - 21:51:02 EDT

At 09:16 PM 9/25/98 +0000, you wrote:
> Hello DAKsters (& Jon)
>
> I just got off the phone with ATR about their Dakota "Y" pipe - not
>good news at all! They (due to sudden demand) raised the price from
>$179 to $295! I, for one, refuse to be "price-gouged" (at least until I
>can get some particulars). Does anyone know for sure whether they will
>fit the R/T? I do realize I'll have to change the cat convertor, but
>had planned to anyway. I'm concerned with clearance under the trans and
>oil pan, as the pipe was designed around a '95 which didn't have the
>46RE trans. Wasn't someone in SC (near ATR) going to volunteer their
>R/T for a fitment check? ATR said they are MORE than willing to do
>this. Lastly, does anyone out there have an ATR pipe they want to sell?

   Is that why they're raising the price? (I heard that the lower price was
a misprint but they would still honor that price.) If so, that really sucks.
They were going to discontinue it because of lack of interest, then we
express some interest and they raise the price? Pretty stupid, if that is
indeed what is really going on here.

  Anyway, yeah I've got my Y pipe installed (I paid $179) on my '96. It
clears the 5 speed tranny just fine on my truck (there's not a whole lot
of clearance, but it *does* fit without touching). The one complaint I have
with it is that the 3" neck is longer than it needs to be, and it exits
very close to a crossmember, which will require a sharp bend to clear. I
plan to cut it down somewhat, but there's a limit to how much material I
can take off due to the O2 sensor. I'm not sure what the pipe by itself
did since I took my cat off at the same time, but it appears to have given
me about 2 tenths. Don't take that to the back quite yet, I still have
some bottlenecks to take care of like the crushed flexible exhaust tubing
to clear the crossmember and an obstruction downstream. After I clean
up the exhaust I'll know better what difference it made.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |