Re: Dash Lights

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Sat Sep 26 1998 - 12:20:55 EDT

At 03:47 PM 9/25/98 , you wrote:

> My eyes are pretty sensitive at night, and I usually have the
>dash dimmed so it doesn't glare at me. Unfortunately, the stupid
>high beam light doesn't dim with the rest of the dash, so sometimes
>(depending on how bad my eyes are, which is directly proportional to
>how long I've been sitting in front of a computer that day) I have to
>cover it up with one hand, and steer with the other! (I would like to
>either dim that light, or make it red instead of blue.) (Red light
>doesn't affect your night vision. That's on my list of stuff to do
>when I get some time...)

Maybe I'm just stating the obvious here, but I imagine that the blue color
is a result of a filter on or behind the dash panel rather than the bulb.
If this is the case then changing the color is probably going to be
difficult if not impossible :-(. If you can look behind the dash you might
find a filter or be able to scrape off the blue coating. Then you could
replace it with a red filter or paint over it with red nail polish or
something like that. Or you might be better off just trying to rewire the
bulb into the dimming circuit. As far as covering it up with your hand, two
words...Duct Tape :-)

> I'm also interested in knowing what it would take to change the
>color of the engire panel, but I'd like to make it red instead of
>green, so it won't affect my night vision as much, and so it won't
>create such a harsh glare. My FZR600R had amber guages, which was
>nice.

Let us know what you find out about that. I have the same sensitivity
problem that you do.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 RC 3.9L V6   3.55 Auto  Rhino Liner

"I believe people would be alive today if there were a death penalty" -- Nancy Reagan