Re: 98 Truck of the year

From: Stephen J. Fisher (stephen.fisher@snet.net)
Date: Sat Sep 26 1998 - 10:21:29 EDT

The S10 might have been truck of the year at some point, but it doesn't
compare to the Dak. I just got rid of my '95 S10 ZR2, 4.3, off-road
etc. for my new '99 Dak Sport+, CC, 318. I know there is the benefit of
four more years between the '95 and '99, but not that much has been
developed in that time. The low-down on the S10 ZR2 was that it was the
worst truck BY FAR that I have ever owned (I've had a Toyota (220k
miles) 2 Ford 250s (great trucks) Dodge PowerWagon, The Chevy, and now
my Dak) so I think I can objectively speak on the quality of different
trucks. The Chevy was great new, but after some mileage, the poor
engineering of the vehicle started to come out. I had a myriad of
problems with the Chevy (leaks, cooling, braking, rattling, paint) as
well as poor design ergonomically. This was not a very well thought out
vehicle. The best thing about the ZR2 were the BFGs. Over time its
shortcomings came to light. I never timed acceleration, but I don't
need to go to a track to tell you that the Dak out-pulls the S10, it
should, its an eight cylinder. Although my Dak is no Viper, it has more
pull in all areas of the power curve. The thought put into the Dak is
impressive. It is a superior vehicle in all areas, hopefully over time,
it will prove itself to be a reliable truck. Whenever I pass a ZR2 on
the road, I just shake my head and hope the poor fool driving it doesn't
hate it as much as I did mine. Maybe I got a lemon, but there were
things in it that didn't break down that were just engineered poorly.

Love My Dak