Cubes

From: JHambleton@diabloresearch.com
Date: Fri Sep 25 1998 - 11:46:43 EDT

                OK guys I'll have to take exception here.

                There's a guy on the SDML that will prove over and over
again that Cubes aren't the "end of the story". Last weekend he blew a
Corvette and a built Camaro off the track with a

        Turbo 2.2 MINIVAN.

                Yes he's pulling a lot of HP out of a 2.2, but it's
still a
2.2. He also consistently blows big bore V8's off the track with his 2.2

turbo Dodge Spirit.
                Butt ugly cars, but HUGE humiliation for the GM crowd.

JonH

Put the same turbo on a 454 and it will make a ton of power, but put a
proportionately sized turbo on the 454 and it will wake a lot more
power.

The point is (I race Big Block Buicks, but have a lot of turbo Buic
friends) you can get a lot of power out of small displacement. BUT it
means spinning the hell out of it and blowing a lot of air into it.
This does not lead to longevity and turbos can be finicky. A single
4bbl big block can easily put out 450 + hp on pump gas with no nitrous
or anything. Never turn it over 6500 either. If you're starting from
scratch and want reliable cheap power, a big block's the way to go. If
you have a turbocharged 4 or 6 cylinder, you can easily make mods to put
out 450 hp, but at what cost and how reliable is it? I know you can
fairly cheaply and easily get a GN into the low 12's high 11's. After
that you've got to start changing cams, springs, injectors, turbos,
etc. Gets espensive. I've seen 70 Skylarks with 455's run 11's with
quadrajets.

This is like a debate about putting ketchup or mustard on hot dogs.
Each tastes good in its own right, but not everybody has to like it.

--
Drew Schofield
1998 Sport 4x4 5.2 CC Black