Re: 180 MPH Viper

From: Bobby Nicks (bwnicks@ibm.net)
Date: Sat Sep 26 1998 - 18:13:37 EDT

This is a long append that doesn't have much to do with Dakotas, so you
can just jump over it if all you are interested is is Dakota stuff.

I've had to miss most of the racing and car show stuff this year because
of my wife's illness. (She has lung cancer) My oldest son and his girl
friend came by the house last night and said that they would stay with
my wife today so I could go play. So I did.

Down here in North Carolina we have a group called the East Coast Timing
Association of which I'm a member. Five times a year we lease a runway
and have standing miles runs. You run for 1 mile from a standing start
and get timed the last 100 ft of the mile. It is my understanding that
we are the only group east of the Mississippi (sp) that does this.

Well anyway, Dodge show up today at our meet with a Viper, I mean
factory people. We've had the Ford factory people show before but this
was this first time for a Chyrsler team. Their 1st run was a 156.6XX,
they said they were just getting the feel of the track. Before the day
was over they ran a 180.701 mph in the standing mile. We had one other
Viper there and he ran a 168, but it was a stock coupe and had nothing
to do with the factory.

It takes some power to do that, until you run the standing mile you
don't release how hard it is to get above 135. You run 90 in the
quarter and think you can hit 140 in the mile. Ain't so a car that hits
90 in the quarter will do about 125 in the mile. Until I get my Camaro
finished, I converting it from a drag car to a top end car, I have been
running my Impala SS. I run 95 in the quarter and had best ever today
of 134.995 MPH.

The talk about the turbo 2.2s, I've heard a lot of talk about them, but
the fastest one we have even had at our meet was 117 mph. What a car
does on the street and what it'll do on the track are 2 entirely
different things.

We get teams and cars from all over the eastern US and Canada. Had
people from Nashville Tenn, from Flordia, the Dodge folks from
Michigan, and some people from Maryland here today.

Our next meet is October 31st. It will be a 2 day event. Anyone
intested in any information just drop me a note.

Bob
95 Dakota V-8 CC
96 Impala SS
68 Camaro