Re: 22 Gallon fuel tank

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Sun Sep 27 1998 - 18:02:45 EDT

At 11:19 AM 9/27/98 , you wrote:

>I have a 1990 Dakota with the 22 Gal tank and 3.9 V6 4X4 with this problem
>what is the average range in miles I should be getting on tank of gas?

>>When my gas light
>> comes on, I still have 4-5 gallons left (almost a 1/4 tank), but the
>gauge
>> says 1/8.

Having 5 gallons left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on, or
having a couple of gallons in the tank when the needle is on E is *not* a
problem. It was designed that way on purpose. Number one, the fuel pump is
cooled by being submerged in gas. Running the tank too low creates extra
heat in the pump shortening its life. B) Running out of gas in a fuel
injected car is a major no-no. Ma Mopar is trying to save people from their
own stupidity by including a built in fudge factor into the fuel gauge.
Like my father-in-law used to say, "It doesn't cost any more to run with a
full tank."

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 RC 3.9L V6   3.55 Auto  Rhino Liner

"I believe people would be alive today if there were a death penalty" -- Nancy Reagan