Re: Axle Ratio Question

From: Bobby Nicks (bwnicks@ibm.net)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 17:08:16 EDT

Vincent Heckathorn wrote:

> I don't think this is possible, but if the drive shaft turns 1.5 times to 1 turn
> of the tire that means that you have 1.5 to 1 ratio. This can't be right. Check
> it again.
>
> Colin H.
>
> Chad wrote:
>
> > Awhile back Robert Trottman and Joe Borg had the following conversation.
> > I saved it so one day I could carry out Joe Borgs test. In it they speak
> > of Limited slip and Axle ratio's. Well, today I tried the suggested
> > methods and My driveshaft turned 1 and 1/2 times per 1 rotation of the
> > tire. Even had a friend double check me. Is 1 and 1/2 turns right? If
> > so, what axle ratio would that be?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chad Clifton
> >
> > --

He probably has a conventional rear end (no limit slip), and the spider
gears are coming into play. One rear wheel turning one way and the
other the opposite. If he will get a 2 freinds to help and hold the
tires so that both are turning the same way he will get a good reading.
Also if he just jacks up side and turns it he will get a false readings
because of the spiders.

Bob