Re: 318 noise

From: GSWillhite (GSWillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 18:30:49 EDT

> I recently purchased a 98 ext. cab, 4x4 sport, V8. When I pulled it off the
> lot the engine ran silky smooth. Now with just 2800 kms on the odometer the
> engine does not seem to have the same get up and go as before and pings on
> hard acceleration. I took it to the dealership and they said that the they
> check and scoped the engine, everything is working fine. Also they stated
> most of the V8's were a little noisy and it may quiet down with a few more
> miles on it. Has anyone else had this problem, if so what did they do to
> fix it etc. The funny thing is that motor trend remarked on how quiet and
> smooth the V8 was when they tested it.
>
> Thanks
>

> Richard Oleschuk

10K and still quiet.....well, except for the Flowmaster. A 180 degree
thermostat change may be in order. Helps get rid of the ping and may
increase the horsepower a little (cooler heads). I've never had a ping
problem w/any grade 87, 89, or 93. Someone on the list said Mobil 1
quieted their engine down considerably.

GS
98 5.2L 5spd