Re: 318 noise

From: Chris Hindy (chindy@home.com)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 19:37:52 EDT

>>Richard.Oleschuk@chem.UAlberta.ca typed
>>
>>Now with just 2800 kms on the odometer the
>>engine does not seem to have the same get up and go as before and pings on
>>hard acceleration. I took it to the dealership and they said that the they
>>check and scoped the engine, everything is working fine. Also they stated
>>most of the V8's were a little noisy and it may quiet down with a few more
>>miles on it. Has anyone else had this problem, if so what did they do to
>>fix it etc. The funny thing is that motor trend remarked on how quiet and
>>smooth the V8 was when they tested it.
>
>I had the same problem especially under hard accel. I corrected the
>problem with an upgrade to medium grade gas (89 octane) so far the sound
>has not returned.

I had this problem with my 3.9L . . . I couldn't believe what a difference
using 89-91 Octane made . . . made the truck run like a new beast! I guess
these engines just like mid-grade or premium . . .

cheers
-ch
98 Dak Club Cab, 3.9L V6, slushy, 3.90 LSD, Intense Blue.
Mods: K&N filter, Bosch Platinums, Sony CD changer.
Next: "Hmmm, Tires? or Wires?"