crossing tires on rotation

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 23:50:50 EDT

"> Rotate the tires front to back. Keep them on the same side. Don't
crisscross
> them.

  When it comes to the Dakota, I agree. This is the rotation pattern
that
my owner's manual and FSM call for.

> Crisscrossing is not for radial tires. Crisscrossing used to be
> recommended when before radial tires. You can't spin a radial one way, then
> spin it the other.

  Not exactly true. Some modern FWD rotation schedules specify crossing
sides when rotating rear tires to front. If anybody wants to question
me
on this, I'll be happy to scan and email the pattern from my wife's
'91 Nissan owner's manual. I think it's safe to say that this is not a
bias-ply pattern. Yes, it surprised me too, first time I saw it, but
I've
seen it on some other sources as well."

---Anyone who says not to cross tires on rotation may want to do a
little reading up on tire technology, what manufacturers recommend today
in 1998, and also find out why tires use to come apart when they were
spun in the opposite direction, (and what the manufacturers have done
since 1985 to eliminate these problems)
  Problems of the 70's and early 80's and the advent of the steel belted
radials have long ago been addressed and corrected. Technology has its
benefits.

  Quote (from Firestone Tire Maintenance Warranty and Safety Manual
K160-pages 10-11
  "The purpose of tire rotation is to minimize irregular or uneven wear
caused by maintaining a tire in one rotation direction and one position
over an extended period. The illustration shows the rotation patterns
normally recommended for radial passenger and light truck tires. See
your owner's manual for recommended pattern."

  The illustration that follows basically shows this- in a nutshell-
cross the non-driven tires when rotated, and move the drive tires
straight to the non-driven wheels. Layman's terms-if you have a FWD-
cross the rear tires coming up, if you have a RWD or 4WD- cross the
front tires going back.

Patrick