Re: Axle Ratio Question

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 00:51:06 EDT

For gone all the mathematics in the world, the easiest
method would be the check the vehicle Ident. Number,
call your dodge dealer to check the vin- all of the options from
the factory will show on the comptuer.

or

check for the equipment list (under the hood if it's still there)

or finally

V6 standard transmission has 3.55 or 3.90 (3.92 for '96 and up)
V8 automatic has 3.55 or 3.90 (3.92 for '96 and up)
V8 standard transmission has either 3.21, 3.55, or 3.90 (again 3.92 for '96
and up)
.... Drive 50-55 in top gear (5th, or OD)... and note the tachometer.

Someone else on this list has the SAME gearing as you, and you
can get your answer (100% accurate!) unless of course you don't have a tach,
then that's another story...

Step 1) Drive 100 miles and count the mile markers along
the way. Step 2) Don't forget to time the trip (rate x time)= distance. If
you forgot to
do this, turn around and go back to where you started and try Step 1 again.
Step 3) Count the RPMS' for the 100 mile trip... **Very important** If you
lose count
Step 4) Take the time to travel the 100 miles x the RPMS counted, and divide
by 100 (miles)
Step 5) This # is the amount you'll have to pay on mileage over your lease
agreement or
              Your next annual car insurrance premium!
Step 6) By now you are out of gas, you've driven nearly 300 miles and
there's no Texaco station
              in sight.... You could really care less about the axle ratio
at this point, and would rather
              be home watching Nash Bridges bounce around in his Cuda!

    Sam '95 SLT (Still looking for 5.9L sources!!)