Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs and such

From: Chris Hindy (chindy@home.com)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 15:48:30 EDT

> Yep, I bought one. In fact, I think I brought up the "shorter
>threads" thing. The thread size itself was fine (that is, it fit the
>truck). I feel that the stock drain plug is of much higher quality
>though. Hey, is it possible to magnatize the stock plug? That would
>be the best of both worlds...

Here's an idea that I've been considering . . . I was browsing through my
new Lee Valley catalog the other day (they sell woodworking tools and
related items) when I came across their page of rare earth magnets. They
stock a round magnet with a diameter of 1/2" and a thickness of 1/10" that
will lift a 10lb block of steel. They also have 3/4" and 1" diameter by
1/8" thick ones that will lift a 20lb and 35lb block of steel respectively.
the ad text for the large one reads "...We innocently some of the 3/4" and
1" ones and found we had a small proble,. They are so powerful that only
people with very strong hands can seperate them..."

I was thinking that one of these on the stock oil drain plug and one on the
end of the oil filter would be more than enough to pick up any crap that's
floating around in the oil. Besides, you can afford to lose them . . .
package of five 3/4" ones is C$ 6.95 and the package of 5 1" ones is C$
10.95. (Which with the sad state of the Canadian dollar these days is about
US$4.95 and $7.75)

I've had good luck with other stuff I've ordered from these guys, so I'm
guessing their not lying about the magnets.

Lee Valley Tools
1-800-267-8767
www.leevalley.com

cheers