Re: Eric's Hood

From: Rekker21@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 30 1998 - 00:11:19 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/98 11:08:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
langcj@clarkson.edu writes:

<< Hey Eric, I just noticed your hood on the drag truck page it looks GREAT.
 You mentioned something a while ago about possibly making more of these have
 you made any progress on this? How exactly did you make the hood? If
 you've got anymore lyin' around I'd love to buy one... >>
Thanks man, when that picture was taken was when I was pretty idle with it.
The thing was pretty ruff and in black primer! Its changed a little since
that picture too.
I cut the hood and raised the section in the center up about 1.5" to get a
bigger entrance for intake. Im also planning on extending the new height to
the cowl and sealing off the air cleaner for cowl induction and the ram air
will be mostly for engine compartment cooling. I may do a combo though and
seal the cleaner to both entrances. My plan was for the thing to be done and
have a mold and first part pulled off by October but that's just not going to
happen. The wife wanted a new roof on the house and there goes that money!
My new and final goal is to have this part complete by mid November and then
lay up the mold either the end of November or the first of March, but either
way I will be making parts to get rid of by the middle of April '99.
How'd I do it? A lot of cutting, welding and a little bit of bondo! Actually
a lot of bondo! The hood weighs a ton! Ill probably gain a 10th with the
lighter hood alone!! Just kidding! It wont be long before its done though.
All the house chores are done for the year so I have the time, Ive just got to
get the money now! The Fiberglass hoods will weigh about 25% less than the
stock hood with the same strength. OK? That's all I can think of about it.
Eric