Re: 2.2 300HP

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 01 1998 - 16:52:02 EDT

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998 JHambleton@diabloresearch.com wrote:

> DML List:
>
> Yes the DOHC had some problems. BUT you don't need the DOHC to get
> 300HP. Get on the Shelby Dodge Mailing List and talk to guys like Cliff
> Sebring, Gus Mahon, Neil D., etc. I'm looking at 215HP on my non-intercooled
> 2.2.
> V8 powered rear drive sports car??? Copperhead is most likely, but
> it won't be a big bore, or even a 318. The V8's we're familiar with are
> going away. The new millennium will see small bore, high output, high
> efficiency, V8's powering the cars.

   Granted, this is all rumors and 2nd and 3rd hand information, but my
understanding was that Dodge was looking to produce the Copperhead in such
a way that you could get a wide variety of engines in it; anything
from a V6 to the V10. Since its a car, I assume they're talkin'
about the Viper V10, as opposed to the Ram V10.

   I sure hope they go through with this. Chevy seems to want to
get rid of the Camaro, but Ford is putting even more time and
money into their Mustang programs. Trucks may be popular now,
but I don't think the pony-car is dead quite yet. I think its
high time Chrysler did get involved. An affordable CC alternative
to the Camaro, Firebird, and Mustang would be great! (I'm driving
the closest thing they've got to that right now.) :-) I'll never
get rid of my truck, but if I could afford another car, a CC pony car
would be very tempting. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |