RE: Radar Detectors

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Fri Oct 02 1998 - 14:31:49 EDT

At 09:19 AM 10/2/98 , you wrote:

>Something seems strange to me. Back in '94 I believe the FCC made a
>ruling about the freedom of airwaves. That is, if it is out there, and
>not military, we can recieve it.

If I'm not mistaken, it was the federal law which created the FCC back
sometime in the 20s that gave the airwaves to the American people. We are
(were) free to monitor any and all frequencies regulated by the FCC,
including military. However, lately we have been snookered into giving up
our right to monitor certain frequencies or in some cases had them stolen
from us. The police, afraid of losing revenue, have painted pictures of
runaway speed demons and dead children on the highways to get some to give
up their right to monitor speed radar freqs. The tele-communications lobby
has bribed Congress into making it illegal to monitor cellular frequencies
so that they can tell people that cell phones are "secure" so people will
feel good about using them thus generating more revenue for the phone
companies (are you starting to see a common thread here?). The
tele-communications lobby also bribed Congress into giving them billions of
dollars worth of the public airwaves for free (well, really in exchange for
a few million dollars worth of bribes). You all remember the
tele-communication act which was passes a couple of years ago, don't you?
You don't?? I'll bet you remember the Communications Decency Act. The one
that had everybody up in arms about porn on the net and the net being a
playground for pedophiles. While we were all distracted with that is when
the people who are supposed to be representing your interests in Washington
stole your airwaves from you and gave them away. And if you like all that,
wait till you get a load of what's coming while we're all drooling over
stained dresses and windowless corridors. Is this a great country or what?

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 RC 3.9L V6  3.55 Auto  Rhino Liner

I think deep down, all any of us really wants is to be accepted, especially by young, attractive models with plenty of money and an unquenchable desire for sex.