Re: Re: Cranking up the Torsion Bars

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Mon Oct 05 1998 - 01:20:07 EDT

At 11:01 PM 10/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm in the process of gathering the parts for this conversion myself. I
>have found that a Dana 44 front axle from an 78 or 79 Bronco or F150 will
>fit well. The Bronco uses coil spring with drag links in the front. The
>frame on a Bronco is 34" wide. A Dakota is 36" between the front wheels.
>With 4" lift coils, I can compensate for the 2" difference in width. The
>bronco has coil pockets, drag link mounts and shock mounts bolted to the
>frame. My plan is to remove the upper control arms from my truck and mount
>the coil pockets in their place. I can reuse most of the Bronco suspension
>and steering components. I would just have to fabricate mounts for the back
>of the drag links because the Dakota's frame is about 40" wide at that point
>where the Bronco's is 34" front to rear.
>
>Other benefits of the Dana 44 Axle is the larger 5 lug bolt pattern, Manual
>Hubs and a wide selection of gears and lockers.
>
>Walter_Felix@MSN.COM
>88' Dakota Sport 4x4
>WWW.GeoCities.Com/MotorCity/Downs/9219

I uh...have one of those Broncos...(don't flame me!!) Hehe...easy to work
on(the Dana 44, not the damn Bronco)...When are ya going to be doing
this??? Mine is for sale(I am NOT soliciting anyone!!), but I might end up
parting it out if no one buys it soon(it's been for sale for a LONG time)...

Just thought I'd inform you guys in case someone wanted/needed parts or the
whole thing...

I'm not going to find the front suspension missing one morning am I,
Felix??:-)

Brian