Re: Top speed 115?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 05 1998 - 19:29:41 EDT

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 BlKV8Dkota@aol.com wrote:

> My dakota wont go ove 115 MPH what is this about. It is like the engine shuts
> off, am i correct in calling this my (Govenor)? I dont know if that is the
> right term or not but what ever is making me do this how can i stop it? do i
> have to get a new computer or will somthing else stop it?

  Yep, Dakotas are governed at 115. There's not really anything you can
do about it except to replace the computer with a Mopar Performance PCM.
The MP PCM isn't available for all model years though; what year is yours?
(Note: It HAS to be the MP PCM; a Jet or Hypertech chip won't be able to
do anything about the governer. (Or the rev limiter, for that matter).
It is possible that Jet or Superchips might be able to reprogram your
computer to eliminate the governer, but I don't know for sure. If they
can, you can count on spending big bucks for it though!!)

   In theory, I suppose it'd be possible to adjust the vehicle speed
signal to the PCM to pretend that you're doing less than 115, but
I wouldn't want to try it; the governer isn't the only thing the speed
sensor is used for, so its probable that you'd screw up another other
system if you did so.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |