re: 115

From: Gary Ludwick (gludwick@csi.com)
Date: Tue Oct 06 1998 - 19:37:31 EDT

>>I know that a few years back that VA was still using Vascar , which , if
I'm not mistaken , was one unit in the rear of the car , one in the front
that would time how long it would take for you to go between the two and
determine your speed . I would guess that this was utilized with some kind
of beam of light (not a laser) and woulkd therefor be undetectable .

Anyone know anything about Vascar ?<<

Oh yeh...still used frequently here in NC...particularly by city/local cops.
Used to be set up with two rubber "trip" hoses set a certain distance a
part, with a patrol car by the second hose. Much more sophisticated
now...uses a computer/timer/odometer set up in the patrol car....generally
used by tailing a suspect, but can also be used on oncoming traffic. In the
present incarnation, both cars must be moving for it to work. It's really
just a variation on the timers that Rally drivers use...if you know time and
distance, you get the speed.
'Course tree huggers love it...NO Emissions! :-)

Gary

The Internet - Living proof that 10,000 monkeys in a room with 10,000
typewriters will NOT
eventually duplicate the works of Shakespeare!