Re: Noisy Belt Pulleys

From: RLewis7785@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 11:37:28 EDT

Hey, I'll tell Ya a little story, maybe it will help.

I replaced the timing belt on a mazda I owned at 50K. When I got everything
back together, I had a strange whine. I tore back into it and ran it with no
covers. Found one of the idlers (DOHC) not turning, just rubbing.

It only took a little bit to figure out what happened.

The bearing carrier in the bearing was plastic. It had broken - probably a
long time before, but since the bearing always rotates one direction, the
pieces never interfered with the balls. However, during the belt change, it
was rotated all around, and the pieces feel between the balls and jammed them
up. Had I thought to rotate them while I had it torn down the first time, I
would have saved a headache later. Luckily I found it before it tore up the
timing belt in my zero clearance rice burner - Ouch.

This is just a thought, and an experience I thought I'd share.

I saw that you had recently replaced the belt. Remove the belt, rotate all
the driven accessories by hand, the one that grinds, or sticks is the culprit.