Re: RE: new engine....prices????????

From: Whit (bigdog@netdog.com)
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 12:41:11 EDT

At 12:56 AM 10/8/98 -0400, you wrote:

><< I just bought a low mileage 360 out of a '96 Ram. I started pulling
things
> apart to drop a new cam in and was SHOCKED at how poorly built it was. The
> pistons were pathetically out of balance, the rings never sat, rods were
> out of round and the bearings were lame to start with. I have lost all
> faith in Mopar QC. My advice is to buy used and build to your specs. I
> ended up balancing and blueprinting the entire thing but that 360 runs
> smooth as butter now :-)
>
> Whit >>
>

>How much did you pay for the 360 to begin with??? how much did you end up
>spending on it?

The motor was $1200 and only had 10,000 miles on it. I thought I was going
to just replace the cam, port the heads and drop it in. I have an
additional $2200 in engine parts and machine work. $330 for the headersand
y/pipe, $200 for ceramic coating, $220 for a Random Tech 3" Cat, $120 for
the Borla muffler, $250 for the custom exhaust. $230 for the Mopar hipo
computer. Looks like $3750 altogether.

Whit