Re: Leaking Trans on my RT!!!!!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 19:23:16 EDT

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Dakota RT wrote:

> I did a little high speed driving today to check my high speed
> vibration....got up to about 105. Vibration not bad until maybe 90
> then kindof a HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM which changes frequency if I accel or
> decel. Well today at about 105, there was a sudden very loud HUMMMM
> which made me immediately let off. Well didn't seem to have any
> problem after I dropped back below 90, but when I got home, I just
> happened to look under it and saw I am leaking trans fluid. Looks
> like it is coming from the rear trans output seal....guess I'll take
> it in tomorrow, but do I tell them how it happened and about my HUMMMM
> problem at 90+mph or just keep my mouth shut? Anyone have any ideas
> what the HUMMM source could be? Did my trans just have a bad seal or
> are the two connected? I dread this bc I dont' have access to a good
> dealership....

   Sounds to me as if your driveshaft might be out of whack, and its
grinding and rotating around, and messin' up your tranny? Its possible
that they're a cooincidence, but I'd say the probabiliy of them being
related is pretty good.

   I would take it into the dealer and just tell 'em it vibrates at
higher speeds. If it is making a humm at higher speeds, its probably
vibrating at lower speeds too, you just can't hear it. You could
just say you took it up to 90 to see if the humming was speed
related, and it was...

  As far as I know, the dealer shouldn't have any problems with
high speeds, they just don't like racing. (I could be wrong,
feel free to jump in here if I am!) Its always good to give
the dealer as much info about the problem as possible; it'll
help to prevent a mis-diagnosis and will get the problem fixed
the first time...

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |