RE: Re[2]: RE: RE: RE: RE: Mag Buildup

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 13:51:38 EDT

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Holloway,Frank T wrote:

> Jon,
> Dave charged $585.00 for the complete stage 1 port and valve job. This
> included a valve grind, surface, guides, minor work on the intake, more
> extensive work on the
> exhaust. He also port matched my intake (approx. $100.00). He doesn't match
> to the intake gasket but instead has you mark where the intake is positioned
> on the
> heads and aligns accordingly (pretty close to the intake gasket, just minor
> trimming). Combustion chambers are lightly polished intakes slightly
> relieved. The

   Was that $585 per head, or for both?

   I've heard of something called a "5 angle valve job" or something like
   that. Is that what Dave did?

   Did you get any before/after dyno or track results? I've heard that
   a set of heads combined with an intake and a cam can be good for about
   70hp.

> heads look great when finished. The last time I checked on the ported Magnum
> heads from MP, they were not available yet and the price $1,100/head
> (pretty rich).

   Yeah, I was amazed at that price. What was really a bummer is they
misprinted the price in the MP catalog. I think they had 'em for $300
or so, so I was gettin' all excited until I found out what they really
wanted for 'em!! :-( That's when I started checking into other sources.
I think someone on the list dropped a rumor that Dart was going to work
on something for the Magnum engines, but I haven't heard anything about
it since. What I'm probably going to end up doing is to buy a set of
stock heads and have someone port them.

> Dave does have larger valves, custom springs, custom retainers and locks,
> cams, and about anything else you could possibly want.

  Neat. :-) I think the MP heads have larger than stock valves...

  Does Dave have a brochure or price list for common jobs, or would I
just call up for an estimate when I'm at that point?

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |