Re: Open Air Element and Rain/Splash

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 11 1998 - 20:00:29 EDT

At 07:17 PM 10/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I've been driving through a bit of rain up here lately and I'm a little
>concerned about sucking water down my TB with the open air set-up... Same
>concern when hitting a big puddle at speed (great water plume over the cab,
>though!)... Am I worried about nothing?!

  I dunno... I've wondered about that in the past, and its also
been discussed on the list to some extent. I think you're fine; even
if a little water gets into the engine, that shouldn't hurt anything.
A popular performance mod used to be water injection... That said,
I don't use my X-stream lid on the street, just at the track. (For
that reason and also because it doesn't hold the filter on as solid
as the chrome cover.)

  One way to test it would be to just pull your air cleaner off, and
splash some water on it to see how much actually gets through. If
you're worried about it, you could also get one of those K&N foam
covers, which are pretty popular with the offroaders.

>Funny thing is my motor seems more feisty lately, I.E. it seems to jump of
>the line at a light with almost no throttle and I have to be careful on the
>highway 'cause I feel like I could spin the tires at 65 in overdrive on the
>slick highways! Granted it's been a little cooler up here, but is the air
>even more dense when it's raining??

   Nope, generally less dense, in fact. As the humidity goes up, the
air contains more and more water. The water molecules displace
oxygen molecules which effectively reduces the density of the oxygen
in the air. (You will have more oxygen molecules in a cubic foot of
space in dry air than in humid air.) A high pressure system would
increase the density... I haven't been paying attention to the
weather, but maybe one of 'em moved through the area?

   However, I've also noticed a funny thing in regards to humidity...
My truck does seem to run faster in less humid weather when the engine
is cool, BUT when the engine is hot, it seems to like the humid air
better! I don't know if the humid air is better at cooling the engine
or what, but I can whip off a string of fast runs in humid weather
(round robin racing) whereas I'd get slower and slower in dry air, and
I'd have to let the engine cool in order to get another fast run.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |