RE:Platinum plugs (Was Jacobs..)

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Tue Oct 13 1998 - 16:33:28 EDT

   I don't think it's because they'd melt (Platinum's pretty tough stuff). I
think if they got that hot they'd be a constant ignition source without the
power applied and the fuel would ignite as it was injected into the chamber: a
safety hazard to say the least. It more likely has something to do with the
same problem it causes some of our engine controllers: the resistance
difference. That coil is probably calibrated for max power at standard plug
resistances. At a lesser resistance it may damage the coil or power assembly.
 Heaven's know my Shadow ran like crap on Platinum plugs. Put regular ones
back in and zoom! No problems...
   As for solid state, that's pretty apparent. If you send more current
through the ignition system than it's designed for: ZAP! dead PN boundary's in
the transistors. That could be fun to listen to though... ^_^

Shaun H.